Sunday, October 9, 2016

Bypassing the Conscious Mind

The classical guitar pose with the pillows seems to be working out fairly well, and my teacher seems to agree. Anything that makes it more comfortable for me to play is a good thing, he says. So that's what I'm doing. And I'm still practicing every day at least 1/2 hour and sometimes an hour or more. I'm glad about that and it's starting to be enjoyable. I look forward to those times when I will not want to stop playing when an hour has passed.

Another things I've been working on is what I call "automaticity," where you play in an automatic manner, which means the fingers translate the notes into sound, bypassing the conscious brain.
It's very much like touch typing, which I mastered many years ago. I very seldom have to think about what I'm typing (a bit more now that I'm getting older); I just imagine the word and the fingers do the rest without my having to think about what I'm typing, one letter at a time.

I've been working on that this week with playing guitar, and find that with the easy pieces I can do it for a short amount of time. It's coming along and I can hear the improvement.

So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment