Thursday, October 13, 2016

The Music Inside Me

Today I continued with my plan to practice technique in the morning and practice play-through in the afternoon. It worked out quite well. I was practicing one particular piece in both parts. It's a piece I was having considerable trouble with as recently as Monday. But after working on the individual measures and then playing it over and over in time using the metronome, I am getting it very close to perfect.

One thing I noticed as I was trying to play the piece through without stumbling, is that it became quite a bit easier when I closed my eyes and tried to play it from memory. When I did that, I noticed for the first time that I could feel and hear the natural progression of the notes. It relaxed me completely, which was very helpful and quite satisfying in a way that I can't quite explain. It's almost as if the music were inside me and I was letting it glide out of me. I didn't write the piece, yet somehow it became something I knew intimately. Kind of freaky, but very nice. I wonder if that's how musicians experience this?

I decided to look it up, and found this quote from Ray Charles:

No comments:

Post a Comment